Saturday, November 21, 2009

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: Who is your MRUA?

Randy Seaver at Genea-Musings has issued another Saturday Night Genealogy Fun Challenge.

1) Who is your MRUA - your Most Recent Unknown Ancestor? This is the person with the lowest number in your Pedigree Chart or Ahnentafel List that you have not identified a last name for, or a first name if you know a surname but not a first name.




2) Have you looked at your research files for this unknown person recently? Why don't you scan it again just to see if there's something you have missed?



3) What online or offline resources might you search that might help identify your MRUA?



4) Tell us about him or her, and your answers to 2) and 3) above, in a blog post, in a comment to this post, or a comment on Facebook or some other social networking site.


Let's see if I can find mine!

The MRUA in my tree are #34 & #35 the parents of Elizabeth Ann Wrean/Wren.  According to the 1880 Census of Brown, Lycoming, Pennsylvania, Elizabeth's mother's first name was Minnie and she was born in Scotland.  Minnie was 75 and living with Elizabeth and her husband William N Gamble. (My 2nd great grandparents)  I don't have a first name for Elizabeth's father.

I haven't looked for these people in a long time.  I suppose the first place to go would be my local genealogy library and see if they have any Canadian birth records. Elizabeth was born in Nova Scotia, Canada.  If there are birth records at the library for Elizabeth, then they SHOULD have her parents' names on them. I might also try FamilySearch.  I've not come up with anything on Ancestry.

I have lots of work to do.  I hope I can get some library time in soon.  Thanks for the nudge, Randy.

No comments:

Post a Comment